When filming biblical dramas or documentaries you need to have knowledge of all the holy places scattered around Israel.
Biblical Productions, ever eager to provide you with the insider knowledge you need, has compiled a list of holy sites and biblical locations which can be used when filming in Israel. Each of these sites could beå filmed as short, 3-4 minute segments and would serve to walk the viewer through the life and times of Jesus, from the annunciation of his birth in Nazareth to his crucifixion and resurrection in Jerusalem.
Not only an emotive setting to complement narratives and locate interviews but also a fitting place to film dramatic re-enactments or poignant footage. These segments would all help viewers to visualize key episodes in Jesus’ life, depicting the very places where events unfolded. These sacred places in the Holy Land would be filmed in chronological order, following the chapters of the Bible.
Filming Locations in Israel
- The town of Nazareth, marketplaces, churches and streets, close-ups and aerial shots.
- The House of Mary, and Mary’s Spring.
- Woodwork and carpentry shots in Nazareth
- The Church of the Annunciation
Events that took place in Nazareth
- The Annunciation
- The Prophecy of the Birth of Jesus – the Land of Zebulon and Naphtali
- Mary and Joseph leave for Bethlehem after the Roman census
The Journey to Bethlehem
- Mount Tabor and the Jezreel Valley
- Mount Megiddo – according to Revelation, the site of the future Armageddon
- Bet Shean – Roman ruins
- Mount Gilboa – the last battle by King Saul against the Philistines
- Mount Gerizim – the site of the Samaritan’s Passover sacrifice
- The Ancient Roman Road to Jerusalem – take in the ruins at Sebastia and sample the breathtaking views of the Judaean wilderness, in particular, the deep and dramatic Wadi Kelt
Arriving in Jerusalem
- Mount Moriah; the site of the ‘sacrifice’ of Isaac by Abraham.
- Mary and Joseph give praise at the Temple – a model of the second temple.
- Mary’s resting place – mareliyas – magnificent Byzantine mosaics
- The town of Bethlehem
- Shepherds Field, caves.
- The Nativity
- The Star of Bethlehem
- Circumcision in the Temple
King Herod, the Greatest Builder of Ancient Times – four segments
- Herod’s palace – The Herodian, near Bethlehem
- The enormous building blocks/stones of the Temple Mount
- The Port of Caesarea – Roman ruins and underwater archeology
- Fleeing to Egypt
Filming The Old Testament
Locations in Egypt
- Egyptian pyramids, the Sphinx.
- Mount Nebo – from which Moses is allowed to see the Promised Land but is not destined to enter
Events that took place in Egypt
- The conquest of Canaan by the Israelites.
- The Exodus and the Ten Commandments.
We recommend approximately twenty production sites connected to the Old Testament, including those from the times of the Judges, the Kingdoms and the Prophets right up until the times of Jesus. These sites include:
- Samson, the gates of Gaza,
- The City of David,
- Rachel’s Tomb,
- Tomb of the Patriarchs,
- Hatzor – the largest and most significant archeological sight in the Holy Land,
- The Cave of Elijah,
- Mount Carmel
- The Hasmoneans etc.
Suggested below are topics that can be covered at different locations
- Filming Jesus’ childhood in Nazareth – 5 segments.
- Filming Jesus in Galilee – his ministry, parables, miracles, Sea of Galilee, synagogues, churches, mosaic floors. – 20 segments.
- Filming in the Holy Land – Great and Holy Week – Jesus in Jerusalem, the Passion, The Last Supper, Arrest and Trial, The Station of the Cross, Via Delarosa, the site of the crucifixion. – 25 segments.
- Filming Locations in Israel Associated with Early Christianity – St Paul, Judeo-Christians, Old Churches and synagogues -5 segments.
- The Revolt Against Rome – The zealots, Gamla Masada, Qumran, Dead Sea Scrolls, Essenes, Josephus Flavious, Destruction of the Temple, Temple treasures – 8-10 segments.
- The Rise of Christianity – the Byzantine Era – Constantine, Helena, The True Cross, The Monastery of the Cross, Holy Sepulcher, Church of the Nativity, Persian conquest, The Ancient Church of Nea – 8-10 segments.
- Filming the Islamic Conquest – Jabal Muquabar, The keys that opened the doors of the Holy Sepulcher, The Dome of the Rock, Al-Asqua Mosque – 6-8 segments.
- Filming the Crusader Period – Templars-The Fighting Monks, Crusader’s towns and les. Architecture, horns of Hittin, Akko. – 6-8 segments.
- Christian Denominations in Israel – ceremonies, customs and liturgy. Armenians, Copts, Maronites, Jacobites or Syrian Orthodox, Abyssinians, Greek Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Protestants, Messianic Jews – 8-10 segments.
- The Birth of the State of Israel – Pioneers, kibbutz, immigration, West Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa, – 8-10 segments.
- Communities in Israel – Israeli Arabs: Moslem and Christian, Druze, Ultra-Orthodox Jews, Samaritans, Pilgrims from all over the world – 6-8 segments.
- Feasts, Customs and Holidays in the Holy Land – Palm Sunday, Passover, Good Friday, Ramadan, Christmas in Bethlehem, Fire Ceremony at the Holy Sepulcher, Ceremony of Washing of Feet, Circumcision, Arab wedding, The Feast of Halaka: First Hair Cut for Jewish Boys on Mount Meron, Celebration on completion of writing a Torah scroll – 12 segments.
- Significant Archeological Digs – work in progress – the City of David, Underground Tunnels in Jerusalem, Mosaic floors in Tzippori, Dead Sea Caves, Qumran, Hatzor – 6 segments.
- Filming Prophecies for the future.
- Mount of Olives (the sight of the Second Coming).
- Hinnon, the Valley of Hell (Day of Judgment).
- Guarded Tomb (The Resurrection, alpha and omega).
- Armageddon (the apocalyptic battle).
- The Valley of Kidron, and its cemeteries (The Dry Bones Prophesy).
- The Golden Gate (through which Jesus will triumphantly enter the City).
As our name suggests, we are experts in biblical productions. We have a wealth of experience to offer production crews on filming in Israel. We are familiar with all of the holy sites; those well-known and those less so. We are up to date with all of the archeological work going on across the country and also have access to a wide range of theologians and specialists.
Filming in Israel
Biblical Productions is a leading company in the field of production services, based in Israel. We cover all areas of film and television production, including documentaries, feature films, commercials, music videos and promotional films. Biblical Productions guides you during your shoot in Israel – from the pre-production planning to the post-production wrap. We arrange professional crews, fixers, permits, HD equipment rental, interviews, location scouting and more.
Biblical Productions also boasts a large collection of high-quality archival footage, making it a one-stop shop for all your production services in Israel.